The 1890′s

1890
In the mid-1890′s small proportion of Eastern European Jews began what became an influx of new settlers from the mid-west. After an initial lack of enthusiasm by the older settled Jewish community, B’nai B’rith accepted 42 Eastern European Jewish children into their Sunday School.
1891
Concordia Club founded, whose 100 members represented the Jewish social elite until the 1920s when the Hillcrest Country Club began.
1893
Depression (The result was rapid and erratic growth in industry and transportation).
1894
Max Meyberg organizes the first “Fiesta de Los Angeles,” a parade and carnival modeled on the New Orleans Mardi Gras, sponsored by the Merchant’s Association to help improve the economy.
1896
Brith Congregation builds its second synagogue at 9th and Hope
Herman W. Hellman became Vice President of the Farmer’s National Bank, resigned from his company, Hellman, Haas & Co., going on to serve as a director of twelve L.A. banks. His office building at 4th and Spring stands today.
January 1897
First issue of B’nai B’rith “Messenger” which became an “important source of communal self-awareness” (Vorspan)
Dec 1, 1899
People’s Synagogue Beth El Conservative congregation, led by M. G. Solomon, rabbi. Rabbi Sigmund Hecht (1849-1927) came to Los Angeles as Congregation B’nai B’rith’s new Reform rabbi. Beth Israel (Olive St. Shul), the oldest Orthodox congregation, was founded.

« The 1880′s

Timeline of Jewish History in Los Angeles

The 1900′s »